If there any issues with the main fuse the distribution operator should be contacted straight away. These issues include, burning smells, if it's hot or damaged. The main fuse is where the electrical supply enters your home. Then on to the meter, it belongs to your energy provider, this could be British gas, octopus' energy, or another provider. The fuse board and everything after is your responsibility (the homeowner) or your landlord, if there are any problems or you are thinking of having some electrical works done give us a call today.